Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Mullen After Snow



The mullen plant is a biennial wildflower that produces only leaves the first year it grows, then flowers the second year. After that the plant dies, but ample seeds are produced that frequently a new plant grows in it's place. The mullen is a member of the snapdragon family. Although this plant is now common in the United States, it is not native here. It was an introduced weed from Europe and Asia. Many believe that it was introduced during colonial times as a medicinal herb. Some believe that it cures a number of ailments, especially those associated with congestion and coughs. Sap from it's leaves have been used to take away the pain of insect bites. And it's leaves have been used as wrappers to store food and prevent spoilage.

The flowers on the mullen plant in this photo have mostly gone to seed, except for one or two that have survived winter's cold and snow to still peek their bright faces up towards the sunshine. I'm sure there's a lesson somewhere in their example.

3 comments:

  1. I am amazed that you found Mullen blooming. Of all the ones I looked at on my walk, they were all dead and brown. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great photo and I love the information you gave to go along with it. I always get a great education here LaTeaDah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:02 PM

    This is a wonderful example of a wildflower in winter. Thank you for all the good information too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog post. I am always happy to hear from blog readers. Your words encourage and inspire me. I am glad you stopped by to share conversation, recipes, ideas, and thoughts on creating a welcoming home.